Friday, November 30, 2007

Shoot UK teacher, say protesters (great public relations)

Please see my comments after the BBC article.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7121025.stm




Shoot UK teacher, say protesters

Thousands of people have marched in the Sudanese capital Khartoum to call for UK teacher Gillian Gibbons to be shot.
Mrs Gibbons, 54, from Liverpool, was jailed by a court on Thursday after allowing children in her class to name a teddy bear Muhammad.

She was sentenced to 15 days for insulting religion, and she will then be deported.

The Foreign Office was in contact with Sudan's government overnight and is due to repeat demands for her release.

'Kill her'

The marchers took to the streets after Friday prayers to denounce the sentence as too lenient.

The protesters gathered in Martyrs Square, outside the presidential palace in the capital, many of them carrying knives and sticks.

Marchers chanted "Shame, shame on the UK", "No tolerance - execution" and "Kill her, kill her by firing squad".

Hundreds of riot police were deployed but they did not break up the demonstration.

The Foreign Office said it was seeking more details about the protest.

'Strongest terms'

Prime Minister Gordon Brown has been in touch with Mrs Gibbons' family for a second time, speaking to a close relative of the teacher.

Foreign Secretary David Miliband has expressed "in the strongest terms" the UK's concern at her detention.

The Sudanese ambassador, Omer Siddig, was called back to the Foreign Office to explain the decision.

The Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams said he could not "see any justification" for the sentence, calling it an "absurdly disproportionate response" to a "minor cultural faux pas".

The Federation of Student Islamic Societies (Fosis), which represents more than 90,000 Muslim students in the UK and Ireland, said it was "deeply concerned" at what was a "gravely disproportionate" verdict.

The federation's president, Ali Alhadithi, said: "What we have here is a case of cultural misunderstandings, and the delicacies of the matter demonstrate that it was not the intention of Gillian Gibbons to imply any offence against Islam or Muslims.

"We hope that the Sudanese authorities will take immediate action to secure a safe release for Gillian Gibbons."

In September, Mrs Gibbons allowed her class of primary school pupils to name the teddy bear Muhammad as part of a study of animals and their habitats.

The court heard that she was arrested on Sunday after another member of staff at Unity High School complained to the Ministry of Education.


My thoughts:

-There have been many good serious articles written on this story, including one from Zaftig in my links. I thought I would approach this from a satirical perspective.

-A guest satirical writer on BBC 5 Live mentioned today that this incident was 'great public relations' for Islam. Now, it was pointed out on the same radio station earlier that most British Muslims disagreed with the school teacher's sentence. Personally, when I lived in England (99-01) I had positive interaction with Muslims, and would occasionally visit a Muslim acquaintance that owned a burger and chips shop for a meal and talk, which included polite religious dialogue on the differences in religious philosophy between Christianity and Islam. In fact, he gave my friend and I free dinner one night, as we showed him respect unlike many in the community. The interaction with this man was a good learning experience. However, with this type of action by the officials in Sudan it comes across as trying to make an example of an English woman that made a social mistake in ignorance. I do not pretend to know the motives of the authorities, but the episode strikes me as being childish and bitter. Rather than doing the common sense thing and let the teacher away with a warning, the authorities make a big deal about it, and are setting themselves up for public ridicule in the Western world.

-A BBC 5 Live reporter suggested today that the protesting crowd may have been somewhat staged. So, the crowd calling for the teacher's execution may have been influenced by the government to protest in public. One wonders why the economy of countries like the Sudan are not world class! Good idea, let's have adult men take part of the day off work to protest a 54 year old British school teacher and a teddy bear. Perhaps a compromise can be made and the teddy bear can be executed. If the teddy bear is publicly burned at the stake, or beheaded some of the officials and protesters will feel better, and can put in a full days work on Monday. It is good see that the authorities have a fantastic grasp on what is important in reality.

-Revelation 13:15 comes to mind. It comments that the second beast gives the breath of life to the image of the first beast, that it may speak and cause as many that do not worship the image of the beast to be killed. Mounce writes that the second beast is given the power to animate the first beast. Mounce (1990: 261). The second beast enforces worship of the first beast. Mounce (1990: 261). Biblically and theologically, it is possible...just possible, that the animated beast could be a teddy bear?

MOUNCE, ROBERT H. (1990) The Book of Revelation, Grand Rapids, William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company.

20 comments:

  1. I understand this is the top news story in Great Britian and it is definitely on the minds and hearts of so many around the world. This is totally unimaginable! How could a learned and trained instructor of education, who is trying to do a good thing by teaching children in the Sudan, receive such treatment, and because she is not a Muslim, has never been taught about the absolute serious strictness of the worship of Mohammed, it makes one wonder just where the 'fairness' is in all of this. What is the purpose? Why are so very many people wanting her to be executed because of a mistake when if she had known of the rigorously strict regulations, the teddy bear would not have been named 'Mohammed' as the child student had requested. The student in question even admitted to the authorities that it was his request because Mohammed was his own name! Some may believe that God has turned his back on this situation, but perhaps this has taken place in order to complete an ultimate plan of God. This situation has opened the eyes of the world to what has happened, and how the verdict of fifteen days in jail and then deportation could possibly be justified. A massive crowd is calling for her to be killed! Let us all pray that God's ultimate will shall be done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the excellent, common sense comments.

    You are probably correct that this teacher was not taught about the strictness of Islam, and I think should have been given time to learn. My deduction is that one thing behind this foolish way the authorities are handling this situation is animosity towards the west. I am not going to defend the entirety of western foreign policy, but still reason that she could have been given a warning and left alone. However, I think she is likely better off being deported!

    This came by email two days ago:

    Greetings,
    Compliment of the day, I am Mrs. Vladlena Gutseriyev, the wife of Russian multi billionaire Mr. Mikhail Gutseriyev's, the owner of Russneft Oil company in Russia, an integrated and advance growing industry in Russia which makes a net capital close to US$3 Billion annually. My husband and I have a profiling amount of US$100 Million in cash, deposited as consignment with a depository company in Europe for our future upkeep, now that we are currently having problems with the Russian Authorities over his future
    ambition to be the next president of Russia, we need your utmost assistance to stand as the beneficiary of the above quoted sum and you will receive 25% of the total funds for your assistance. Please note that this
    transaction is legit and all documents backing the said funds will be provided upon your readiness to proceed. If you know you can do this, contact me via my private box: vladgutss@bk.ru so that I can furnish you with more details.
    I await your reply,
    Regards,
    Mrs. Vladlena Gutseriyev.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. What an amazing story. It sure is easy now to understand why all those saints in Rev. were beheaded for their faith....makes me think...how close are we?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks very much, Mike.

    I hope that we are centuries from the last days described in Revelation. But as you know there are those in the world today both religious and non-religious who hate the gospel and would prefer to see Christians muted. I thought of Revelation, the image of the beast, and the teddy bear in a sense that the teddy could satirically signify evil, as it is involved in an 'evil' presently to these radical Muslims. In the future though, the image of the beast, whatever that shall represent, shall be a great evil that is involved in deceiving followers and attempting to destroy dissenters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Russ.
    Well written again mate.
    I to have some "nice" Muslim friends here in Melbourne although it pretty arms length. They know what I don but that's about it at this stage. I have a couple of guys in the Church who are from Iran & Iraq another guy who is speaks Arabic. He was telling me that many Muslims are becomeing Christians via Satelite TV in the Middle East. I also know a pastor here in Melbourne who is from Iraq and he has been back several times, jut recently infact. God is doing some amazing things there but we never read about them on the news.
    Catch you again soon.
    Russell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Russell.

    Muslims are becoming Christians via Satelite TV in the Middle East.

    That is quite interesting. If that happens too much over there, it could cause some problems!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anon said Why are so very many people wanting her to be executed because of a mistake when if she had known of the rigorously strict regulations, the teddy bear would not have been named 'Mohammed'

    Make no mistake here, I understand full well what I am saying and I do understand Islam and have read and own a copy of the unholy quron.

    All this from a peaceful mis understood religion?

    A women is gang raped, no mention of the guys who raped her, her punshiment is 200 whips,

    Again all this from a peaceful misunderstood religion.

    A women get put in Jail, they call for her death, Again, Again all this from a peaceful misunderstood religion.

    You go to the airport in the US, You must have your shoes removed, you have super strict rules, you go through hell all because of,

    a peaceful misunderstood religion.

    People draw pictures of the Prophet with a bomb in his turban, Riots enter the streets, people Die, again all this from a peaceful misunderstood religion.

    I was on a public bus about 12 years ago, I saw to guys sitting on the bus and gave them a Bible tract talking about Jesus, they read it and said Jesus is not God, Allah is. I said Allah is not god, they got up in my face and yelled at me saying I could be killed by them for saying what I said.

    I thought that was lame, they could tell me Jesus was not God, but I could not say to them allah is not god and if I do I could be killed, again I say, all this from a peaceful misunderstood religion.

    Here is what I believe, Allah is a false god and the prophet mohummand is in hell waiting to be judged and put into the lake of fire, unless he repented and called out to Jesus before his death.

    Then when people say all these muslims that teach and do this are simple a small misunderstood sect. I do not see the rest of the muslims marching in the street saying, hold on, we do not believe this, these few are giving us a bad name and making people believe something we do not.

    That is simply not happining, why? Because the muslims do hold to these evil teachings. Rick b

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Rick.

    You have pointed out theological differences between Christianity and Islam.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great story & thoughts about
    the teacher/teddy bear controversy.
    This is certainly a great way for
    the world to see the difference between Islam & Christianity...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheers, Howdy.

    I agree that the differences become apparent to anyone that can look at Islam, and compare it to Biblical Christianity.

    Have a good Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. BOW! BOW BEFORE THE EVIL DEMON.. *ahem* (teddy) ...BRINGER OF THE APOCALYPSE!

    Seriously, people.

    Nice commentary, Russ!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cannot believe the absurdity of the human race,when it comes to religious stuff and misunderstanding. Lets have a little tolerance and understanding!
    -Silent Observer-

    ReplyDelete
  13. David, thanks.

    The teacher has been released and flown home to the United Kingdom. But, David please answer me this...what happened to the teddy? Was it set on fire, burned at the stake, decapitated, buried, or what? Would it be too reasonable just to rename him? Was he a parting gift for the teacher? The 'evil' teddy in the mind of the radicals could spend the rest its days in Britain with the other infidels.

    Bobby, thanks.

    Religious toleration has been abandoned by far too many in the past and present. Imagine this type of religious forum (in broad terms, with no computers, obviously) attempting to exist in the Dark Ages.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lets have a little tolerance and understanding!
    -Silent Observer-


    Sorry, but I Cannot tolerate the kind of evil and hate from people like Muslims who beat a women after she was raped, or want a women dead for calling a teddy bear a false prophets name. Rick b

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Rick.

    Toleration in the context discussed was general religious toleration, and/or toleration of differing philosophies. I certainly do not tolerate criminal acts against anyone, and I know Bobby does not either. I will phone Bobby and perhaps he can answer your comment and clarify.

    Cheers;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Greetings,
    I must clarify "understanding" and "tolerance" These comments taken in context were directed at the Muslims who demanded the execution of the poor teacher who made a mistake. Does their religion not have a little tolerance and understanding?? This poor lady who donated her time and energy and came to your country to help teach your children, have some compassion!
    -Observer Not So Silent-

    ReplyDelete
  17. On the subject of Nigerian email scams, here is a great website of entertaining repartee between scammers and pranksters. What makes them so funny is that the Nigerian scammers don't appear to catch on that the pranksters are fooling them, even with such obviously fake names as "Kris Kringle" and "Hu Flung Dung"...
    Some excerpts:

    Dear Stella,

    Please understand I meant no offence when I asked whether you were a man or a woman. Sometimes it can be difficult to tell from the name. Think of Kerry, Shirley, Vivian, and even Lee.

    Anyway thank you for establishing that you are truly female. Is there any chance of a photo of you? Clothed, of course. Mrs Kringle would throttle me if you send a nude photo. I have been told that Nigerian ladies are very pretty. I have been to your part of the world on the occasional business trip but it has always been late at night and all the good girls were sound asleep. I have no idea where the bad ones were.

    I am so looking forward to this transaction proceeding. It will give me the wherewithal to retire to somewhere warm. The tropics have a big attraction. I will, of course, need to lose a bit of weight so gym membership is also high on my 'to do' list. I have this urge to eat venison too.

    I have asked the elves and they feel sure that they can arrange the disc you require. I have asked them to get back to me on it. Where should I send it once I have it?

    Yours jovially,

    Kris Kringle.

    --

    Stella pushes for some details and Mr Kringle pushes for some decorum.

    Dear Kris Kringle,

    I got your mail But before I proceed with you I want you to send me the bellow information so as to enable me verify it with the information I saw in the disk, I want to be sure that I am dealing with the right person.The requested information are: (1), Your full name and address. (2),The full amount (3), Your contract number. (4) Your full bank information. (5) Your fax and phone number.

    Once more I will need the above information for verification, as soon as I get the information and I verify that it is the same with the information I saw in the painted Red disk we will then furge ahead.

    For your notification my direct phone number:234 803 332 6524. Direct fax :234 17 591 159.

    I await your reply,

    Reagrds,

    Stella Mike.

    Dear Miss Mike,

    Is it really proper to call you Stella? I am of an age where protocols and social niceties still seem to matter and I am having some concerns about talking to a young lady on first name terms. Perhaps we should keep this on a formal level. You should call me Mr Kringle.

    The detail that you wanted is as follows:

    Kris Kringle
    The Jolly Fatman Caravan and Camping Park,
    1 Rudolf Court,
    Deer Park, 3255,
    Victoria, Australia.

    This is my holiday address. I come here for a six month break every year. I am pretty certain that it will be the address in the records as I was here when I was first contacted by that other scoundrel.

    The amount was quoted as $35,000,000 (in United States Dollars).

    Bank: St Nicholas Bank Limited, Christmas Hills Branch.
    BSB Number:039-884
    Account Number:4500-1276

    Telephone: +613 9833 xxxx
    Facsimile: +613 9326 xxxx

    The elves have been rather quiet about the disc you require. I may have to go with helping you purchase a copy after all. I'll let you know.

    Yours rotundly,

    Mr. Kringle.

    ====

    Honourable Sirs,

    I am leaving for the airport. I am carrying the money needed to pay fees.

    Please be meeting me with appropriate security.

    May Buddha ensure your navel fluff is always blue.

    Humbly yours,

    Hu Flung Dung.

    --

    But Mr Hu doesn't seem to arrive. What could have happened?

    SIR,

    MY PROTOCOL OFFICER WAS AT THE AIRPORT BUT DID NOT FIND YOU. PLEASE INFORM US IF THERE WAS A PROBLEM WITH YOUR TRAVELING ARRANGEMENT SO WE CAN FIND AN ALTERNATIVE ARRANGEMENT TO CONCLUDE THIS TRANSACTION.

    IF YOU ARE FINDING IT DIFFICULT COMING OVER WE CAN DELIVER THE CONSIGNMENT TO YOUR COUNTRY. ALL YOU NEED DO IS FOR YOU TO SEND US AN AUTHORIZATION LETTER TO THAT EFFECT INSTRUCTING US TO DELIVER YOUR CONSIGNMENT. BELLOW ARE THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENT.

    1) YOU MUST SEND US BY FAX A VALID PROOF OF YOUR IDENTIFICATION.

    2) A DESTINATION ADDRESS WHERE YOU WANT THE CONSIGNMENT TO BE DELIVER.

    3) YOU MUST PAY OUR DEMMURAGE AND ADMINISTRATIVE FEE OF 18,500 EURO

    4) YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR THE SHIPMENT OF THE CONSIGNMENT 3,500 EURO

    UPON CONFIRMATION OF THE ABOVE REQUIREMENT YOUR CONSIGNMENT WILL BE CLEARED FROM THE BONDED WAREHOUSE AND PROCESSED FOR IMMEDIATE SHIPMENT AND UNDER 72 HOURS YOUR CONSIGNMENT WILL BE DELIVERED TO ITS DESTINATION.

    AWAITING YOUR ADVICE

    THANKS

    MR.MARK LEWIS.

    --
    Mr Johnson is wondering too:

    dear Hu Flung Dung,

    what is happening,where are you at the moment,i contacted my son,he said he waited for you at the airport he did not see you,please contact me immeditely you recieve this email.

    thanks and Godbless,

    mr temi johnson

    --

    Mr Hu's sad tale...

    Honourable Mr Johnson,

    Today I am returning to Australia with heavy heart.

    On Monday I am arriving at Schiphol and I am being detained by customs because I am carrying large amounts of money in cash.

    They say I am drug man and want to know what money for. I say am tourist but they not believe me. I fear I cannot say true use of money due to your need for secrecy but customs man not release me without good reason.

    They put me on flight to Hong Kong. I am only just getting home.

    What am I to do now?

    Yours humbly,

    Hu Flung Dung.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This story made me SO mad. I'm STILL mad.

    Thank God this woman is home and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks, Ruthie.

    This situation, regardless of one's position on Iraq/Afghanistan demonstrates that radical Islam does oppose many western values.

    Russ:)

    ReplyDelete