Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Best of religious album covers


Notre Dame, France

When this site was rather new I did three articles with religious album covers. Here is a best of version for those of you who would not have read and commented on the originals.

I spent quite a few hours on these three articles and would like more people to see the best sections and that is a major reason I present these again with some changes.

Russ:)

New addition -- see under "Satan is Real" for audio clip.

I shall take a satirical look at some religious album covers.



Mahavishnu Orchestra with John Mclaughlin is presently one of my top two favourite recording artists of all time. This pre-Mahavishnu Orchestra album from 1970 features McLaughlin with what appears to a photograph of his now late Indian guru Sri Chinmoy. The person in the photograph may be in an altered state of consciousness. When I first saw this album cover in a record store I thought that it was creepy, and hardly a good advertisement for any music album or religious movement, but most fans of Mclaughlin's music probably are not too concerned with what is on the cover. In the religious and not musical context, a smile or normal pose would be good, but the 'out of it' altered state of consciousness look may attract some persons already heavily interested in Hinduism and related religions, and/or may attract 'pot heads' and 'druggies', but it probably will not cause positive religious thoughts in most persons. This by the way, in my view, is not bad since I believe that Biblical Christianity is the true religious faith and philosophy in regard to the nature of God and salvation, and not Hinduism and related religions.



Sure Mike, you are using God given power, and I admit that I do not know the point of your album cover. There are Christians and non-Christians that can smash bricks. In a sense from a Christian perspective, anyone that can break bricks is using God given power, as God is the creator of all things.



I agree that Satan is real, but he is spirit and not a cartoon character. There is also debate among Biblical scholars and theologians on whether or not hell has literal flames, although it has literal punishment.

That is a funny cover as the dudes are in hell, but are still well dressed in a suit and tie. Had they just been out knocking on doors, or were they just visiting?

Intro to the song Satan Is Real



It is good to see this type of choir. But in my opinion, it is in bad taste to show a person injecting himself or herself on the front cover of the album!



With the use of the terms 'touch him' the cover is likely referring to the concept of having fellowship with God and Christ. But in today's society, a satirical, homosexual type of interpretation could be made. My Mom does not understand why anyone would view this cover as funny. I suppose this may show a difference in how generations look at the use of certain terms.





It is good at times to have persons think about death, the afterlife and God's judgment and salvation for those in Christ. However, in my view, very few persons would want to purchase these album covers that are in bad taste. The second cover made me laugh.



Flying missiles and atomic bombs? This is a very presumptuous cover concerning the Second Advent. There is much figurative language used and interpretations should be made carefully. The cover to me seems sensationalistic.



Is the idea of Satan being paralyzed found in Scripture? Jesus told Satan to leave him in Matthew 4: 10-11, but Satan presently is still active it appears from Scripture.



Korla Pandit was a famous pianist and I am not criticizing him as an artist, but that album cover is creepy, and especially for a Christmas album. To me, Mr. Pandit with the turban in that photo looks like a wax figure of Mr. Pandit. The wax figure of Mr. Pandit for some reason reminds me of a few world religions class trips to Hindu and Hare Krishna temples. So, the thought that comes to mind is that some creepy type of eastern religious figurine is sitting behind a piano peddling a Christmas album. Merry Christmas everyone, and Hare Krishna, have a Krishna Christmas you hairy Christians. Hmm, that cover would sell a lot of albums in today’s market, and what a wonderful marketing ploy. Perhaps, Mr. Pandit actually was off that day and the figurine was a cheaper stand in.



Reverend Falwell from what I have gathered was a godly man, and I respected him. However that album cover with the words Feudin’, Fussin’ and Frettin', will only reinforce the notion by some within and outside of the Christian Church, that southern American fundamentalists are ignorant and uneducated. From my experience with emailing denominations for my questionnaire, I found that many southern American fundamentalist leaders are educated with Master’s and Doctorate degrees and have knowledge, even if some of their views are too extreme or not necessarily Biblical in the opinion of many in the Christian Church. I can picture some secular critic looking at that album cover and thinking that fundamentalist Christians are a bunch of backwards, morons. In a sense, album covers such as this one perhaps just reinforce in some secular minds the mistaken notion that Biblical Christianity is so ridiculous that it does not need to be seriously, intellectually, examined.



Hmm, I can just deduce that some secular critic will reason that fundamentalists cannot count.



Felix looks like he will cane anyone that requests the wrong song! Man, someone did not do a very good marketing job with this album. Perhaps it should read Felix A Lorenz Jr will punish you upon request.


A very nice instrumental

48 comments:

  1. Wow!

    Christians have never been on the cutting edge of style, have we? Or even common sense.

    Funny stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Russ,

    I'd probably have bought some of those albums because I was alwasy drawn to absurdity. By the way, if I had to spend eternity in those Louvin Bros white suits and ties, it'd have to be in Hell.

    You're observation about Christian's with education is correct. Even without the formal ed. and within the "hick" churches I attend, study, intelligence and knowledge of the world are important. Many more of we Christians understand and have read the writings of the Bible critics than those critics understand or have read the Bible.

    Larry E.

    Larry E.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'By the way, if I had to spend eternity in those Louvin Bros white suits and ties, it'd have to be in Hell.'

    LOL.:)

    Larry, at my PhD viva I reason I faced the attitude that I was a 'fundi' that did not know a hell of a lot about theology, the Bible and philosophy of religion. By God's grace I demonstrated that I am not a fundamentalist but a moderate conservative, and more importantly, that I do know my thesis topic very well.

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1st pic- It is my dream to visit France ^_^

    I must agree with you the 1st album looks creepy because of the small picture and I must say I agree with all your statements about the other album.
    I did laugh about the 'let me touch him' album... it sounded gay to me..

    Have a great day always!

    I'll return to watch the video ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, that "Let Me Touch Him" cover is about as scary as the Felix Lorenz cover...in a completely different way of course!

    Swaggart always has had a great voice, and I really enjoy a lot of his more Southern Gospel/bluesey material; but when it comes to his "preaching" I think I'll pass.

    I hope people felt sorry for Freddie Gage. He looks kind of young for all of his friends to already be dead...don't you think?

    I'm glad they never came up with the "Adulterer's Choir" or the "Murderer's Choir". Can you imagine what those covers would look like?!

    I secon Larry's thoughts on the Louvin Bros. attire! :-) But they do seem happy to be there, don't they?

    The Kings Three: Secular critic? I was wondering the same thing!

    I just can't get over how "cheesy" (and disturbing?) these covers are. Geesh, wasn't there any "quality control" working back then that could have spared us? On second thought, I've been fairly entertained so I guess I'm glad there wasn't! :-)

    GGM

    Oh, thanks for including the clip of Mahavishnu at the end. It was a nice "sane" closing to a weird "trip" from the past.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'Oh man, that "Let Me Touch Him" cover is about as scary as the Felix Lorenz cover...in a completely different way of course!'

    LOL.

    'Swaggart always has had a great voice, and I really enjoy a lot of his more Southern Gospel/bluesey material; but when it comes to his "preaching" I think I'll pass.'

    I have watched him a handful of times in the early morning over the last few years. He is a educated believer it seems, but there are a couple of red flags I noticed:

    His apparent dogmatism on some secondary issues, for example, eschatology.

    As with Hank Hanegraaff and CRI, Swaggart puts a lot of emphasis on selling his own materials, such as his Bible with his interpretations. Mind you I would love to be well-known enough to sell my own materials, but as a scholar I need to present the works of others as well. And not just when I can financially profit (not prophet) from it.

    'I secon Larry's thoughts on the Louvin Bros. attire! :-) But they do seem happy to be there, don't they?'

    'Secon?' Now that sounds southern 'fundi!'

    'Oh, thanks for including the clip of Mahavishnu at the end. It was a nice "sane" closing to a weird "trip" from the past.'

    And thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. funny!

    hmm I have to admit that in my pre-Christian days (and actually, it's still the case) I find myself mildly sickened by a lot of Christian attempts at 'pop' culture.

    We're finding a big problem is the questionable theology in the children's ministry songs that my kids bring home with them. Just this morning the issue came up again when one of my kids said something that was obviously a catchphrase or song lyric that they'd learnt - and we then spent a large part of our before school conversation trying to tell him that the God of the Bible is hmmm... bigger and Holier and more amazing than this small kids' church God who is, apparently "150% when we are only 100%" - my husband, who is an engineer, simply couldn't let that mathematical proposition slide!

    Between that and the song the kids sing about how Jesus is a superhero better than Spiderman & Batman (both being superheroes I would not personally consider appropriate fare for the pre-school children singing this song) - well... we might have a fair bit of theological work on our hands. Oh dear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'funny!

    hmm I have to admit that in my pre-Christian days (and actually, it's still the case) I find myself mildly sickened by a lot of Christian attempts at 'pop' culture.'

    I find much of it boring.

    'well... we might have a fair bit of theological work on our hands. Oh dear.'

    I respect you for guiding your children in Christ.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, a lot of it is boring. Or just irrelevant. Maybe it's just me and my cynical attitude. Our local Christian radio station plays a suspiciously high amount of secular pop music to try and entice new listeners. I'm not sure it works.

    And come to think of it, one of my gripes when I first became a Christian was the emphasis that some older Christians put on my becoming familiar with Australian Christian music 'celebrities.' I remember being most upset that they seemed to think becoming a follower of Jesus meant adopting Western Christian culture. Blegh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well stated.

    Christian or not, I like to dwell on things that are intelligent, creative and truthful. Originality is good to see at times as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cheers, Rick, and I realize that you were one of my early readers that viewed the original postings.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So which of the four guys on the "King's Three" cover is the heathen?
    Actually, that reminds me of another group, King's X, in which one of the members was not a believer but the other two were. They had some pretty good sounding albums back in the '80s and '90s, and although they never were part of the "Contemporary Christian Music" community, many of their songs did show influence from a Christian world-view (their first album was named after a CS Lewis book, "Out of the Silent Planet").

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe they just did not think that counting was important.

    Cheers.:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Where do you find these album covers?
    They are quite amusing, some in a disturbing way, what were these people thinking when they created these record covers?
    -Just Curious-

    ReplyDelete
  15. My last two blog articles have been on Rifqa Bary, and her continuing court hearings, and how her life is in danger from her Muslim father wanting to murder her because she became a Christian. The Qur'an commands Muslims to kill any Muslim who converts to another religion, and such 'apostasy' is a capital crime in countries run by Shari'a law.

    I have also been researching Muslim honor killings, which has been shocking, sickening and depressing.

    I have been having a discussion on Facebook with a Facebook Friend who is a Christian, who was raised as a Muslim, and lives in Indonesia. I have been learning a little about Islam from him. He tells me that over there, many of the job offers, houses for rent and apartments for rent say "Muslims Only!"

    Well, today a non-Friend on Facebook sent me a message. He is a Muslim, and he began attacking and criticizing me, telling me I need to stop blaming Muslims for honor killings (even though the ones I have been researching have been committed by Muslims murdering their daughters or wives simply for becoming too "Westernized"...specifically, for dating non-Muslim boys; for wearing jeans; for refusing to wear the hijab; for smoking cigarettes; and even a 10-year-old girl who was forced to marry a 40-something Muslim man, and she kept running away, probably because he beat and abused her, and likely raped her, and her 'husband' decapitated her and dismembered her).

    The Muslim whom I was conversing with today (whom I should have just ignored from the start) clearly showed any lack of remorse for such murders. He seemed to even condone them. He refused to answer my questions and kept changing the subject, and tried to shift blame onto Christians and Jews. Finally, he became so incredibly filthy and vulgar and offensive and vile, that I reported him and blocked any more messages from him.

    I have witnessed to Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses many times in the past. I have found some bad things researching Mormon history. None of them ever attacked me as bad as Atheists have, especially when I was debating Creation vs. Evolution. But even Atheists never attacked me as harshly and bitterly as homosexuals have, when I have tried to witness to them online. Up to this point, homosexuals have been the most vile and hateful of any of the groups I have mentioned here. But this Muslim guy has even surpassed the vile hatred that homosexuals have spewed against me. His language became unbelievably filthy, and his words were so incredibly disgusting and wicked, that it was like Satan himself was spewing out vile cursings. I can easily see such a person murdering non-Muslims, because the hatred and incredibly filthy language was just pouring out of him.

    I want to have a burden for souls and a heart for the lost, and I want to bring the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ to all people, whether they be Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, or Muslims, or whoever. I have just recently begun to study how to witness to Muslims. So I still have a lot to learn.

    But I'm also learning that sometimes, when they refuse to listen, you just have to wipe the dust off your feet as a testimony against them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 'The Qur'an commands Muslims to kill any Muslim who converts to another religion, and such 'apostasy' is a capital crime in countries run by Shari'a law.'

    Thanks, Jeff.

    This has been documented.

    'He refused to answer my questions and kept changing the subject, and tried to shift blame onto Christians and Jews.'

    Often a mark of a false religionist.

    'His language became unbelievably filthy, and his words were so incredibly disgusting and wicked, that it was like Satan himself was spewing out vile cursings. I can easily see such a person murdering non-Muslims, because the hatred and incredibly filthy language was just pouring out of him'

    Well stated.

    Although for balance, I have met quite kind Muslims while I lived in Manchester. I am sure you can accept this and I am noting this fact for other readers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't know about John McLaughlin, but it would make me very uncomfortable to have a picture of that guru/guy next to me all of the time like John does on his album cover...WEIRD!
    -Photogenic PhD-

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree, I am not interested in having pictures of gurus in an altered state of consciousness in my office.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These made my guffaw out loud. Very entertaining, with good observations. And for the comment debates, I don't like most Christian music, but I understand why people listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks, Ms. OF.

    Musically, I am a fan of Rush (74-82 mainly), Mahavishu Orchestra (71-76), Allan Holdsworth (73-85), The Beatles (65-70), and recently Johannes Brahms. There are others as well such as Jethro Tull (60s-70s) that I like.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes, early Jethro Tull was very good and even interesting to listen to, if you understand what I mean by that (and as a fellow "prog-rocker" I know you will!). I liked early Kansas a lot for the same reasons. They could flat out rock, but they also had some very interesting compositional arrangements in a lot of their music.

    Brahms is awesome! If you can, check out some Mahler and Bruckner as well. These guys can "rock the house" when they want to!

    I go through stages where I like Kings X a lot and then I don't listen much to them at all. As far as I know, Chucky, all three were professing Christians, but some time ago the bass player/singer (Doug Pinnock) proclaimed that he was a homosexual which leaves his profession of Christ very questionable to say the least. They were (and still are, I suppose) a great band.

    Oh, I also finally got around to responding to you on my site. I had a looooong weekend and didn't do much of anything! :-)

    GGM

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks, GGM.

    Eventually when I am working I will purchase some more Jethro Tull albums. I have a few of their bootlegs (see first post on this blog).:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for your comment on my blog. I was on Facebook for one day until I canceled my account rather than say no to a friend request of someone who despised me! But I do like your idea. If I ever "do" Facebook again, I will certainty try that. --Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hilarious post, Russ! Couldn't stop laughing at your comments about the pianinst in the turban.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey Brother,
    Ask People to pray for me, or send this around, This Sat at the school, Le Cordon Bleu, LCB, they are having a live chef demo, then after the demo they are having an in school Iron Chef contest. The Contest will work like this, Their will be 7 teams of 3 people per team. Each team will have one Chef or school personnel who are former Chefs or former students, They choose one person from the school who is a currant student, then every new member who is starting this month can show up for the demo, we throw are names in a bucket or something, then they will draw 6 names, since one team is already set up.

    Then we have one hour to cook, One team will have the president of the school on it, his team is already set up. The main ingedient will be Salmon. I have made it know to many at the school, I want to be choosen and I will do my best to spank everyone at their game.

    To some degree their are a lot of stakes involved, No prizes that I am aware of, but it will be filmed and shown live on the internet. Then after it's over their will be a link provide for friends and family to go back and watch it. Winning could go a long way to help getting a job, or telling people that interview me that I was involved and won. Thanks, Rick b

    ReplyDelete
  26. Rick, I pray that you will be very successful at this in Jesus' name.

    Russ:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful photo fom France. It's one of my favourits countries in the world! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I agree Those were some pretty tacky album covers lol! You did a good job narrating them Russ.. Not sure if i spelled that right :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. To me, Mike Crain, of "Karatist Preacher, GOD'S POWER," looks in that photo, a bit like George Lopez, the comedian who has his own sitcom. And I've never heard of the word "karatist" before. Karateka, yes. Karate practitioner, yes. But "karatist?"

    ReplyDelete
  30. Maybe the 4th guy in "The Kings Three" is a Judas type? Or maybe he's just a false convert, or Christian in name only, who is not one of the Elect. In any case, if I was on that cover, I would sure be wondering which one was not of the 'King's Three!' I imagine they would all be quoting the verse, "They were saddened, and one by one they said to him, "Surely not I?" (Mark 14:18) LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Does the Addicts Choir 'shoot up' before choir practice?

    ReplyDelete
  32. On that Freddie Gage "All My Friends Are Dead" cover, I can't read the small print. I sure hope it doesn't say, "...and I killed them." I don't think I would want to be friends with Freddie Gage.

    j/k

    ReplyDelete
  33. Classic, Jeff.

    Well done.

    'Does the Addicts Choir 'shoot up' before choir practice?'

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Feudin' Fussin' & Frettin' - sounds like me vs. some Obama voters that I know. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Boy, you have your work cut for you.

    But, Obamamania has been taking some hit$.

    Thanks, Christine.

    ReplyDelete