Monday, February 05, 2007

La Villa Strangiato-Pinkpop 1979

A fine instrumental clip from the Netherlands in 1979. This piece features hard rock/classical fusion.

Some points:

In Bible Study the last two weeks there has been a "Phantom flatulator" who does rather loud ones from another room as the study is ending. I am not sure if this is an unofficial signal that the study has ended and that we should all go home. I personally would prefer a bell sound.

According to The Worst-Case Scenario: Little Book for Dating:

One should ask a date a personal question and if the person looks to the right when the answering he/she is often recalling and telling the truth, and if he/she looks to the left they are creating or spinning events. p 10. Hmm, I would like to see the scientific data on that claim!

In regard to the problem of evil questionnaires, I appreciate the support I have received so far with a few people accepting and returning surveys via the internet and a few friends locally who are willing to hand them out to people that attend churches. My previous advisor had suggested I would need 400 surveys filled out but my new advisor has not provided a number. My goal is to have at least 100 questionnaires completed. A pastor today suggested that it would be great if I could sample everyone, including those of other religions such as Hindus. I completely agree that this would be fascinating and would make my work easier, but because my University requires me to obtain my information from a sample, I have to limit my questionnaire to a group. Since I attend a Christian church and I am writing Christian theology, persons that attend Christian churches are my sample group. As noted previously I can send the questionnaire out to anyone upon request even if I cannot count them in my sample group. The following article explains sample:

http://thekingpin68.blogspot.com/2006/12/sample.html

I listened to this interesting discussion on global warming the other day:

http://www.albertmohler.com/radio_show.php?cdate=2007-01-23

Donald Trump is asked about President Bush:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdxFn8FfauU

Russ:)

5 comments:

  1. http://satireandtheology.blogspot.com/2006/09/unofficial-cd-trading-list.html

    22 RUSH A RIGHT TO PASSAGE JUN 4 79 GELEEN ONE E

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do believe this blog entry gets the prize for most subjects in one entry. We have:
    1) Classic bootleg instrumental Rush
    2) Flatulence
    3) Dating
    4) Theological surveys and sampling
    5) Global warming (preceded by discussion about Richard Dawkins and nominal christianity)
    6) Trump speaking sense about Bush & Iraq

    Sounds like Dawkins is kind of a scientific Jerry Springer: he is more interested in provoking, offending and getting people riled up than in seeking truth. His righteous anger toward religion makes me think of the character of Saul of Tarsus. It is hard to think that anything other than a revelatory experience would cause him to change his ways.

    Re: Global warming, I simply don't understand how our governments can just keep throwing gazillions of dollars at out-of-control health care, pointless wars, ineffective gun registries, all kinds of "squeaky wheels", etc. while productive industry shifts to developing countries, never mind placing additional restrictions on businesses which may do nothing more than hasten their demise (due o inability to compete with non-Kyoto countries). Yet I believe that we ought to be good stewards of what God has given us. The dilemma we face is caused by having already gone too far down the wrong road (of fossil fuel depletion) to make things right, unless there is a concerted global effort to change. Probably only a global dictatorship would have a chance at this point. 1984 here we come...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do believe this blog entry gets the prize for most subjects in one entry.

    Thanks Sir Charles, I think it rather creative...at least I hope it is.

    Trump speaking sense about Bush & Iraq

    In general terms I support NATO as a defensive force. I am no military expert but it appears to me that if the United States and other western nations are going to fight in wars it should be done all out. If a war is not important enough to fight with every moral means necessary, as in all available troops and a draft if required, then it is probably an unnecessary conflict. From what I have understood Iraq in later years under Hussein was an enemy of the United States but not a great threat and seemingly they did not have weapons of mass destruction that definitely could harm the United States. As Trump noted, because of the present war even more people hate the United States. I am not one of them and I appreciate the United States as a neighbor but I now fear that terrorism will continue to be a major issue somewhat because of actions in Iraq.

    Sounds like Dawkins is kind of a scientific Jerry Springer: he is more interested in provoking, offending and getting people riled up than in seeking truth. His righteous anger toward religion makes me think of the character of Saul of Tarsus. It is hard to think that anything other than a revelatory experience would cause him to change his ways.

    Philosophical truth should not be overlooked as questionable and for the most part only empirical scientific data accepted as the means by which truth can be understood. Since the universe is expanding it is likely not infinite and eternal and neither is matter. What existed before matter and what caused it to exist? If time is eternal we have a vicious regress and an infinite amount of time cannot me traversed. If time is finite, what existed before time and what caused time? These are problems that are in my view larger than the problem of evil which is my MPhil and PhD topic. My articles on first cause and infinite on thekingpin68 blog point out difficulties with rejecting some non-materialistic explanations for truth in reality.

    Certainly supernatural occurrences are not typical but I would conclude that the existence of finite matter required the first miracle as a supernatural first cause created the universe. This first cause would have the capability to intervene within creation when desired and this would of course have the potential to appear untypical. I reason that Biblical revelation is a result of the creator intervening within the universe.

    http://thekingpin68.blogspot.com/2006_07_01_archive.html

    http://thekingpin68.blogspot.com/2006_10_01_archive.html

    ReplyDelete