Thursday, November 13, 2008

Thoughts on media, cults, and printers


Scotland

I made these comments, which I have slightly edited, on another blog in comments, in regard to any government notion of fairness concept or doctrine within religious media.

As far as fairness goes, I remember a few years ago when a Christian television station came into our Vancouver area market. The station stated that for fairness the CTRC made them broadcast non-Christian programming.

Quote from their site:

"The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) is an independent agency responsible for regulating Canada's broadcasting and telecommunications systems."

Now the liberal left that brings this fairness junk into Ottawa really irritate me.

1. Christian views are rarely in the media, other than mainly with Sunday morning televangelists and much of that is very questionable. A Christian station with a Christian voice should be acceptable in our society. Mind you, I would not be a bit surprised if a lot of it would end up corrupted even if it stayed all Christian, but that is another issue.

2. I am sure the Jewish community, or the Sikhs and many other religious groups could afford their own station, and I think they should have this right without any fairness concept.

3. Where is the fairness concept on the majority secular television stations? Oh, so fairness only applies to religious BUT NOT non-religious philosophy. That sounds oh so (Ottawa liberal) Canadian.

Religion requires faith, but secular humanism does not...untrue. Humanity does not even know its origins and puts faith in limited science philosophy to speculate philosophically. I am not writing in the context of known empirical scientific facts.

4. If there is ever any fairness concept on my blogs, it will be because I allow it and not because of some bureaucrats in Washington or Ottawa.

There is no need for government mandated fairness or balance in regard to worldviews and religious discussion and related.

A related joke my Mom sent me:

Subject: Fw: A computer whiz....

"A cowboy named Bud was overseeing his herd in a remote mountainous pasture in southern Alberta when suddenly a brand-new BMW advanced out of a dust cloud towards him. The driver, a young man in a Brioni suit, Gucci shoes, RayBan sunglasses and YSL tie, leans out the window and asks the cowboy, 'If I tell you exactly how many cows and calves you have in your herd, Will you give me a calf?' Bud looks at the man, obviously a yuppie, then looks at his peacefully grazing herd and calmly answers, 'Sure, Why not?' The yuppie parks his car, whips out his Dell notebook computer, connects it to his Cingular RAZR V3 cell phone, and surfs to a NASA page on the Internet, where he calls up a GPS satellite to get an exact fix on his location which he then feeds to another NASA satellite that scans the area in an ultra-high-resolution photo.

The young man then opens the digital photo in Adobe Photoshop and exports it to an image processing facility in Hamburg , Germany Within seconds, he receives an email on his Palm Pilot that the image has been processed and the data stored. He then accesses an MS-SQL database through an ODBC connected Excel spreadsheet with email on his Blackberry and, after a few minutes, receives a response. Finally, he prints out a full-color, 150-page report on his hi-tech, miniaturized HP LaserJet printer and finally turns to the cowboy and says, 'You have exactly 1,586 cows and calves.' 'That's right. Well, I guess you can take one of my calves,' says Bud. He watches the young man select one of the animals and looks on amused as the young man stuffs it into the trunk of his car. Then the Cowboy says to the young man, 'Hey, if I can tell you exactly what your business is, will you give me back my calf?' The young man thinks about it for a second and then says, 'Okay, why not?' 'You're an auditor for the Federal Government, says Bud. 'Wow! That's correct,' says the yuppie, 'but how did you guess that?' 'No guessing required.' answered the cowboy. 'You showed up here even though nobody called you; you want to get paid for an answer I already knew, to a question I never asked. You tried to show me how much smarter you are than me; and you don't know a thing about cows...this is a herd of SHEEP. . Now give me back my DOG."

The recent CNN report on Jim Jones and the Peoples Temple movement after it ended thirty years ago, had me thinking about this cult somewhat.

Rick Ross notes:

Rick Ross site

"The Rise and Fall of Jim Jones

November 16, 2002 By Rick Ross

On November 18, 1978, followers of Jim Jones shot and killed United States Congressman Leo J. Ryan and four others traveling with him on a fact finding trip to Guyana. Ryan was there to investigate complaints about the community called "Jonestown," which was largely inhabited by his former California constituents.

After murdering a United States congressman Jones knew the end of his rule was near. He ordered his entire following, some 914 people, to commit what he called "revolutionary suicide."

This included more than 200 children.

The rise

Jones began his group in San Francisco and was once a respected community leader. He started programs to help the elderly and poor. His circle of friends once included leading politicians, who once defended him against allegations of abuse.

An ongoing scandal about such abuse is what prompted Jones to isolate himself and his followers in Guyana, where the media, former members and families could not influence his faithful remnant. However, Rep. Ryan ultimately came there to investigate the continuing abuse within the compound.

Once the Rev. Jim Jones was a popular figure and something of a religious celebrity in San Francisco. He participated in fashionable charity events and perhaps most importantly could turn out the vote or do whatever else was necessary through the well-oiled machine composed largely of his church members.

Jones was not some self-proclaimed "prophet" or fringe religious leader. He was an ordained minister of the Disciples of Christ, a respected mainline denomination. At one point his congregation numbered 8,000. It was composed largely of poor African Americans.

Jones cast himself as a politically progressive and was embraced by liberal politicians such as U.S. Representatives Phillip and John Burton, Assemblyman Willie Brown and Mayor George Moscone.

After the tragedy at Jonestown these politicians found it difficult to explain how Jim Jones so easily took them in."

"Review of key events
1953: Jim Jones opens his own independent church in Indianapolis.
1964: the Disciples of Christ ordain Jones.
1965-71: Jones supposedly believes a nuclear holocaust is coming and uses this as an excuse to move his congregation to Northern California. His church grows and becomes prominent. He is named foreman of the Mendocino County grand jury.
1971: Peoples Temple buys a building in downtown San Francisco and spins off another branch in Los Angeles. Headquarters is moved to San Francisco.
1971-73: The Temple membership grows very large and it offers social programs, jobs and health care.
1974: Peoples Temple leases land from the government of Guyana in a remote jungle area.
1975: The temple turns out its followers for rallies political campaigns and helps elect candidates in San Francisco.
1976: Mayor George Moscone appoints Jones to the city's Housing Authority Commission. Jones gets favorable media coverage and national politicians seek him out. However, his megalomania and paranoia is becoming more visible. He never travels without bodyguards and packs public appearances with followers who applaud him.
Summer 1977: New West magazine publishes a story that exposes Jones, his fakery, abuses and questionable finances.
August 1977: Jones moves to Guyana and creates Jonestown.
1977-78: About 1,000 Temple members move to Jonestown.
June 1978: Temple defector Deborah Layton is interviewed by the San Francisco Chronicle and exposes the brutality and apparent plans for mass suicide at Jonestown.
Fall 1978: Relatives of Jonestown residents push for an official investigation.
November 7, 1978: Representative Leo Ryan says he will go to Jonestown and investigate.
November 17: Ryan arrives at Jonestown.
November 18: Some residents advise Ryan they want to leave Jonestown. Ryan tried to leave Guyana with the defectors, but is shot down at the airstrip by Jonestown gunmen. Ryan, NBC News staff Robert Brown and Don Harris, San Francisco Examiner photographer Greg Robinson and defector Patricia Parks are all murdered. Others hide in the jungle.
November 18: Jones orders his people to commit suicide by taking cyanide. Those who won't are killed. More than 200 children are murdered. 914 bodies are found at Jonestown, including Jim Jones.

Note: This article was largely based upon "Jones Captivated S.F.'s Liberal Elite San Francisco" Chronicle/November 12, 1998 By Michael Taylor "

On You Tube I watched and listened to some actual Jim Jones messages.

WARNING: I DO NOT WANT TO OFFEND ANYONE.:)

They contain some swearing and very gross imagery, and I suggest many of you do not listen to them.

But they are interesting to examine if one is into studying cults. I only listened to two complete clips.

Let the night roar

The You Tube header states:

"Audio recording of Comrade Jim Jones speaking at a crisis level meeting (White Night) of the communist People's Temple Agricultural Project in Guyana. "

Jones states in basic terms that they will kill anyone that tries to take any of them out.

It is chilling to listen to and he speaks and the crowd roars.

Now there is far worse. I listened to one clip (1 of 3) where Jones interviews cults members that describe in gruesome ways how they would like to kill and torture family members back home. Jones laughs repeatedly. His followers call Jones, 'Dad'.

Now, after hearing this I can still understand the media portraying the members of this cult as victims of Jones. They were and the children were especially, but these adults that wanted to kill and torture their family members back in the United States because they would not support the Peoples Temple intellectually, were very twisted persons and not only victims. My satirical side suggests that I am glad these adults moved to Guyana, but I feel especially sorry for the children that died and survived.

Some humour below...thanks Mom.

A satirical look at what it takes to get this printer to work.

46 comments:

  1. LOL! Awww.. poor kitty. Poppy is laid on my lap as I watched that I hope she doesn't get any ideas!

    As for the Christian media. We only have one radio station here that is on regular kind of airwaves, that serves the London Area. (Premiere radio). A few years ago now, they were under threat of losing their licence to broadcast, unless they included all "faiths" in their programming, and not just the Christian faith. I'm not sure what happened, but, the politically correct brigade, get on me wick at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Deejay.

    Your example shows that there is no need for a fairness concept, but there is a need for Christian teaching in the United Kingdom on air and on-line.

    But, some radical liberals do not want to see that happen, I reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The media definately is not fare.
    I have no idea, except to say, that Jim Jones must have thought someone was not being fare.
    I really have not studied him. I hear the "drinking the coolaid" phrase a lot in reference to the Obamaborgs.
    I'm curious to know; are the networks in Canada reporting anything about Obama being disqualified for office of the President of the United States? The media here sure is not. However, I know that documentation exist because I have read it on line. In fact, I have signed a petition for the 'We The People Foundation'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curious to know; are the networks in Canada reporting anything about Obama being disqualified for office of the President of the United States?

    No, I have only seen it on conservative blogs. Some state he cannot prove he was born in the United States, and some state he can. My guess is that even if Obama was not born in the United States, and I have no firm opinion, he will get out of this one.

    Even if he was disqualified, I suppose the United States would still be stuck with the Democrats in the White House.

    From reading some Jim Jones related material the last couple of days, it appears he was a Communist that used religion as a front.

    I will remember this the next time a critic tries to lump the Peoples Temple in with Biblical Christianity is a condemnation of all religion.

    Thanks very much, Jim.

    Russ:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL

    Hi Russ…

    Well where does one start with this garden of humour?

    It is interesting in this day and age that the CRTC continues its iron Toronto centric grip upon Canadian free speech…particularly when we consider the unusually good calls on free speech by the Supreme Court this year…

    I suggest a trade straight across the board we send the CRTC to the US and they send us Sarah Palin….we could throw in some draft picks from the CBC if need be or perhaps even Quebec…

    I love the story of the cowboy…hang on he isn’t a cowboy he is a sheepboy…

    I will pass on the Kool Aid….

    As per the video should not the cat be after the mouse and leave the printer alone?

    I have also added this blog to our blog roll…have you seen our other blog:

    http://creationontheblade.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, LW.:)

    What a nice typical overcast day in the Lower Mainland, eh?

    Perhaps there is hope for free speech in Canada. I hope I am not eventually stuck in a house church as my only church.

    Quebec may bolt yet. My hope is that the country is somewhat decentralized and the Provinces given even more power. Perhaps this will keep the country together.

    Sadly, I do not think the Americans would accept a trade for Quebec and the CBC for Sarah Palin and Alaska.

    Quebec would be a much bigger pain to the Americans than Palin!:)

    Thanks for the newest link. I will check the other blog and contact you.

    Russ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Russ…

    LOL

    The November to April monsoon? LOL Should we have an ark building party? (No I am not talking politics even with the municipal elections on Saturday)

    I admit to being surprised with some of the good decisions on free speech this year by the Supreme Court…now if we could do something with the court “wana be’s” (tribunals)

    I admit to being tiered of Quebec holding us hostage like in the recent federal election…

    CNN and the Dems would probably throw in Alaska to sweeten the deal! LOL

    I enjoy your sense of ha ha….

    By the way it is better for you to use LS than LW everybody calls me either LS or Livingsword and I would not want to miss a comment because of my potential misreading…Livingsword is as in the Word of God is living and active like a double edged sword… :)

    Love your humour!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good comments, LS.

    As long as I don't call you 'Late for dinner' right?:)

    You can call me anything other than *##$*&% or &***$#.

    I sent you an email in regard to further linking.

    Go Canucks go...na I gave up on that team years ago.

    God bless.

    Russ:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL

    Go Canucks Go! You mean the national anthem? :)

    You know we have Life on the Blade Fantasy hockey if your interested! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks very much for the offer, LS, but Bettman and Co. did me in and European Soccer has been my favourite sport for over a decade.

    I lived in England from 99-01 and had home membership for Man Utd and away for Arsenal. Now those are teams.

    If one does a search, I have written on this blog concerning my views on the NHL and Canucks.

    If Toronto (no, I am from here) receives a second NHL team, I will begin to think the League is once again being more reasonable with franchise placement. But, of course they let the salary cap rise...

    Euro soccer does not need a cap as it is very popular in comparison to the NHL and there are many more teams and it cannot be expected that every team in a metropolitan area is going to be a big club. The NHL cannot afford to have loser clubs, and cannot afford to be in many non-traditional markets.

    Russ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well well…

    It appears we have something else in common…

    During the last NHL strike I decided to learn about soccer/football as I knew almost nothing about it….I got books out of the library and from the book stores, visited web pages, purchased DVD’s watch usually 3 games a week (typically Premiership and Champions League along with World Cup Qualifying etc) I own many soccer shirts and only wear who is winning! I decided that since the Canucks are losers I wanted to cheer for a winning team so I always win…Man U wins I wear them…Man City wins I wear them…Chelsea…Arsenal…Liverpool…Real…Juve…Inter…AC…Barca…Porto….etc...etc…etc…

    I love the Premiership because it is fast and physical however I love the speed and physical play of hockey also…but I do not own a Canucks jersey :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cheers, LS.

    On a lower level I saw the Whitecaps win the Nations Cup and USL championships.

    I have viewed a FA Cup semi-final and Champions League quarter-final.

    I miss my friends Simon and Ruth (and others) and hope to see a couple matches with ol' SI in 2009 when I am over in Wales/England for my PhD defence.

    Okay, LS, I will get on to those new links.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The CRTC is essentially Canada's Ministry of Propagation, and should be done away with.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree Chuck.

    It should be replaced by you, me, and Bobby Buff, and they should pay us each 1 million dollars a year.

    Russ:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've often felt the same way as Mr. Whiskers. Ain't technology fun!

    Interesting stuff on Jones. I don't know much about him, but some of the more radical WOF movement reminds me of this "cultish" atmosphere.

    GGM

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am just all warm and fuzzy about the CRTC and Canadian content rules…the thought of Celine Dion and Brian Adams being kept in the lifestyles to which they have become accustomed with the help of these flowery cuddly ideas while living and working outside of Canada makes me cling to the maple leaf….

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Jason.

    I do not know much about Jones, but I found the documentation that stated he was a communist that used religion as a front very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good points, LS.

    I do not think that certain Canadians should be propped up in the entertainment industry through Canadian content rules.

    I watch the CBC at times for sports and perhaps a film. Canadian series generally do not interest me, although I will admit the Canadian movies on the cable channels have improved vastly the last several years.

    ReplyDelete
  19. If ever the government decided to pull the plug on the CBC, I would both applaud their action and be one of the first in line to contribute to a *voluntarily* publicly funded equivalent, like the American PBS.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How dare you take my CBC from me evil Chucky (crocodile tears).

    ReplyDelete
  21. A very interesting and in depth report on the Jim Jones Tragedy.
    Its hard to believe how people can be so brain washed and manipulated.
    -Just Curious-

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks.

    Yes, the Jim Jones/Peoples Temple story is quite disturbing.

    The problem of evil/cults.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Russ,

    You mean Canada has this phony fairness thing, too? We had the so-called "Fairness Doctrine" here a couple decades back, until President Reagan did away with it. Then free speech grew. Now the Democrats, having completely taken over the power in Washington, talk of bringing it back. All Government "Fairness" dictates are for the purpose of shutting up anyone they disagree with who the powers to be see as competition to their ideas. There is no real "fairness" involved.

    I am not sure we Bloggers are out of reach of such control either.

    Loved the cat!

    Larry E.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks much, Larry E.

    I have seen a few people get away with quite questionable things on Blogger over the last few years.

    I therefore conclude we are safe with our moderate Christian approach, for now.

    Russ:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Russ…

    I thought it would be nice of some of my other blogger friends got to know you so…

    …tag you are it!

    Here is the tag or just visit Life on the Blade….

    http://lifeontheblade.blogspot.com/2008/11/blogging-culture-enquiring-minds-want.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. My reply to LS, using answers from his blog as context:

    Thanks for the tag, LS.

    1) Favourite reading, hmm, well I don't have much time to read fiction. I like old comics from the 1970s.

    2) Favourite television show...Bob Ross...there. I like the episode where a lady wrote in stating that if he was going to wear a wig that it should at least match his beard. He stated that his 'wig' had a hole on the top of it....his bald spot.

    3) I have petted some crazy cats and dogs in my time. I find the rare overly friendly cat that comes out for a public petting amusing. I figure that kind of cat has lived a sheltered life from a female likely.

    4) I am an immense enthusiast of solid Biblical teaching and theology.

    5) I slipped down a grass hill, running down it once, thought I was safe and fell again.

    6) I need dating counseling, as in finding good Christian women to date in the Lower Mainland.

    7) I would like to see Hawaii and quite a few other places.

    Russ:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful picture... love the clarity of your photo printer....

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Russ I have surfaced again.
    Mate the cat is awesome. Laughed myself to tears.

    Political correctness has gone mad here in Australia to. Everyone listening to their Radio or watching their TV have the ability to censor what they are watching or listening to, it's called the on-off button.

    If we want to listen to a Christian radio station let us listen to a Christian Radio station. We now have a gay radio station here in Melbourne and guess what, they don't have to play heterosexual stuff. Different set of rules for us and them it seems to me.

    Jim Jones, I do remember this terrible man. It was just a couple of years after I became a Christian and I did get some flack from some people. The depravity of man, what can I say. Not even animals have the ability to carry out such evil.

    I seems to me that God has given us a choice and some choose to do very evil things. It's interesting that you are addressing these things Russ, Theodicy, what an amazing subject.

    Russell.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Cheers, Russell.

    Pretty much every type of cat, domestic or otherwise, amuses me.

    "Different set of rules for us and them it seems to me."

    Yes, the rule makers have their liberal agenda.

    On TalkSport from the UK, early yesterday morning BC time, the guest host was stating how poor it was that within British society if anyone criticized the underclass, not the working class, but the basically anti-social underclass, the critics were often condemned. On the other hand, he stated, Christians were abused in the media often and nothing was done about it.

    Ian Collins is his name. I have no idea if he is a Christian, but he is a sharp man. I am going to email out his link, and have sent him a couple of messages.

    TalkSport UK

    Jim Jones was apparently, from what I viewed from more than one source, a Communist that used religion as a front. A Wikipedia article mentioned it as did a video clip header.

    Thanks for the support on theodicy, Russell.

    Russ:)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Greetings Russ,

    Thanks for the insight in Jim Jones as he is an individual that has caused me to see evil in another dimension. I can somewhat grasp the person, who without knowledge of God's love, go off of the deep end and become a serial rapist or killer.

    What I cannot fathom is a person who claims to be an adherent to Jesus Christ do these dispecable (sp?) deeds. As the world continues its downward spiral (cultimating in Christ's return), the actions of Jones or Hitler may be nothing more than predecessors to what may become commonplace without God's intervention.

    Joyfully Serving,
    Kermit

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey Russ,
    Pattricia from Words to Go is back. Pay her a visit and see what may come back.
    Don't be fooled by the appearance of her blog post.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks very much, Kermit.

    Jim Jones was apparently, from what I viewed from more than one source, a Communist that used religion as a front. A Wikipedia article mentioned it as did a video clip header.

    Also...

    From:

    AIM

    "Mrs. Jim Jones told The New York Times in 1977 that her husband had decided when he was 21 years old that the way to achieve his Marxist goals was to mobilize people through religion. "Jim used religion to try to get some people out of the opiate of religion," she said, adding that he had once slammed a Bible on the table and said, "I've got to destroy this paper idol!" (New York Times, 11/26/78, p. 20.) The Times informs us that Jones "was openly contemptuous of religion among his associates." (New York Times, 11/21/78, p. A 16). But he used religion to entice new recruits and to deceive naive outsiders. After the victims were hooked, he used sex, blackmail, intimidation and psychological dependence to manipulate them. At Jonestown, where there were no outsiders to be deceived, there were no religious services or discussions of religion. (Washington Post, 11/25/78, p. A 3.) Jones had so corrupted people who were once good Christians that they would commit adulterous or homosexual acts with him or others on his command. They would even commit murder at his command, even the murder of their own children, as we now know. Religion was nothing but a cover for Jones' communist ideology, but most reporters, like a pack of greyhounds, went chasing after the fake rabbit. CBS News takes the prize for this most asinine performance on November 22:"

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Russ…..

    Thanks following up with the tag….They can be amusing ways to get to know others better…

    ReplyDelete
  34. Russ and Kermit….

    One need go no further than the New Testament to see horrible sinful “morality issues” hovering about the Church…and in the Old Testament repeatedly God’s people did horrible sinful things…

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks, LS.

    Our Biblical Christian faith is one of grace, as we need it.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm not at all familiar with Canadian law (alas), but in the U.S., a similar "fairness doctrine" that mandated "fair and equal" time in the news media was found to be unconstitutional.

    It was an egregious violation of a clause of our First Amendment, which protects a free press.

    But in our case, the fairness requirements were restricted to "news" programming, in an effort to combat ostensible bias in the news media. It didn't extend to privately owned media organizations or networks. I find that unfathomable.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi, Ruthie.

    There are also Canadian content laws.

    From:

    CTRC

    "Canadian Music on Radio Canadian content is the cornerstone of the Broadcasting Act's policy objectives for the Canadian broadcasting system.

    The CRTC's Commercial Radio Policy sets out a policy framework to ensure pride of place for Canadian music.

    It does this by defining a Canadian song and ensuring:

    a place for Canadian music on Canadian radio stations;

    a place for French-language music on French-language radio stations; and financial support by the radio industry for Canadian artists

    Finally, the CRTC monitors the radio industry to measure the effectiveness of its policies, regulations and decisions and to identify new areas for review and possible amendments. The CRTC produces facts and figures in its annual Communications Monitoring Report."

    CTRC

    "Canadian Programs on Television
    Canadian content is the cornerstone of the Broadcasting Act's policy objectives for the Canadian broadcasting system.

    The CRTC's Television Policy sets out a policy framework to ensure quality Canadian programs at times when Canadians are watching television.

    It does this by defining a Canadian program and ensuring:

    a place for Canadian programs on Canadian television;
    financial support by the television industry for Canadian artists; and reinvestment by broadcasters into the communities they serve and the Canadian broadcasting system.

    Finally, the CRTC monitors the television industry to measure the effectiveness of its policies, regulations and decisions and to identify new areas for review and possible amendments. The CRTC produces facts and figures in its annual Communications Monitoring Report."

    Quotas

    "Canada's national broadcast regulator, the CRTC (Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission), unveiled it's Canadian content quota decision on Dec 15th. Currently held at 35%, proposals filed by the Canadian Independent Record Production Association (CIRPA) for an increase to 45%, and a proposal of 55% by the Society of Composers, Authors, and Music Publishers of Canada had angered many broadcasters at the hearings.

    The CRTC rejected calls by Canada's publishing and indie label sectors to raise Canadian content quotas from their present 35% as well as to introduce an incentive-based strategy in programming new Canadian music.

    The key challenge facing the radio industry is to remain relevant in a marketplace characterized by rapidly changing technology and consumer behavior," says Charles Dalfen, chairman of the CRTC. "We are confident that the measures announced today will enable commercial radio broadcasters to contribute effectively to the achievement of the objectives set out in the Broadcasting Act, while operating efficiently in an increasingly competitive environment." BillboardBiz.com

    Canadian content laws, known as CanCon, have been a standard of the Canadian music scene for a long time. Essentially, broadcasters (all licensed radio and television stations) are mandated to play a certain percentage of content from Canada as a condition of their license. Being on the cultural doorstep of one of the most powerfully marketed music industries, this law has allowed for Canada's artist to compete for airtime and popularity while being bombarded with artist from the US and abroad."

    It is the Canadian very liberal way of 'protecting' Canadian culture. I guess it is thought that it often cannot make it on its own.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I find those quotas somewhat problematic, but I would find quotas mandating "equal" coverage in the news media much, much more problematic. Are there similar quotas for news media?

    Here in the U.S., there are some minimal expectations of news stations in terms of public service announcements, Family Hour programming, decency requirements, and a certain proportion of children's programming. I'm not sure how I feel about those either.

    And are the quotas given by the CRTC legally binding? Or does the CRTC just monitor content and produce statistics, like the American FCC? What does the Broadcasting Act say?

    ReplyDelete
  39. I find those quotas somewhat problematic, but I would find quotas mandating "equal" coverage in the news media much, much more problematic. Are there similar quotas for news media?

    If there are I have not heard of them. The below seems accurate from what I have read and heard previously.

    Wiki

    "Jurisdiction

    The CRTC regulates all Canadian broadcasting and telecommunications activities and enforces rules it creates to carry out the policies assigned to it; the best-known of these is probably the Canadian content rules. The CRTC reports to the Parliament of Canada through the Minister of Canadian Heritage, which is responsible for the Broadcasting Act, and has an informal relationship with Industry Canada, which is responsible for the Telecommunications Act. Provisions in these two acts, along with less-formal instructions issued by the federal cabinet known as orders-in-council, represent the bulk of the CRTC's jurisdiction.

    In many cases, such as the cabinet-directed prohibition on foreign ownership for broadcasters[1] and the legislated principle of the predominance of Canadian content,[2] these acts and orders often leave the CRTC less room to change policy than critics sometimes suggest, and the result is that the commission is often the lightning rod for policy criticism that could arguably be better directed at the government itself.

    Complaints against broadcasters, such as concerns around offensive programming, are dealt with by the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council, an independent broadcast industry association, rather than by the CRTC, although CBSC decisions can be appealed to the CRTC if necessary. However, the CRTC is also sometimes erroneously criticized for CBSC decisions — for example, the CRTC was erroneously criticized for the CBSC's decisions pertaining to the airing of Howard Stern's terrestrial radio show in Canada in the late 1990s.

    The commission is not fully equivalent to the U.S. Federal Communications Commission, which has additional powers over technical matters, in broadcasting and other aspects of communications, in that country. In Canada, the Department of Industry is responsible for allocating frequencies and call signs, managing the broadcast spectrum, and regulating other technical issues such as interference with electronics equipment."

    Here in the U.S., there are some minimal expectations of news stations in terms of public service announcements, Family Hour programming, decency requirements, and a certain proportion of children's programming. I'm not sure how I feel about those either.

    Cheers, Ruthie.

    Russ:)

    ReplyDelete
  40. When I read the various comments here regarding how things are in Canada, the UK and Australia, I can't help but suspect that is exactly the direction the U.S. is headed.

    There has been a petition going around, via e-mail and the Internet, which is against the threat that has been trying to shut down all Christian radio and TV here in the U.S., as well as conservative talk radio. For example, "Obama Declares War on Conservative Talk Radio."

    And this example, which is from here:
    "The FCC is considering rule changes that could force Christian radio stations to either modify their messages or be forced from the air.

    Although not directed specifically at those using the airwaves to disseminate the Good News of the Gospel, potential rule changes could put Christian Broadcasters in an untenable position. If enacted, the proposals could force Christian radio programmers to either compromise their messages by including input from those who don’t share the same values, or to run the risk of costly, long and potentially ruinous government inquiries."

    The Christian radio station in Miami that I listened to for many years was shut down a few years ago, but I don't think that was because of government intervention.

    There are two Christian radio stations here in Ocala where I live, and I listen to both of them. Both of them have some programs and some music which I would not recommend doctrinally, but they have much that is helpful. I also get a couple Christian TV stations through the Limited Cable I get through Cox Cable, and a lot of those programs are less than doctrinally sound, but there are also some programs that they offer, including classic TV shows that were once aired on major stations (in the 1950's, etc.), but are now shown on the Christian TV stations simply because they are family-friendly.

    In contrast, the other (non-Christian)stations contain vast examples of ungodly and offensive material, even considering the fact that I only get 20 stations with my Limited Cable.

    Last night, I was watching PBS, and they had a show about the Bible. They were focusing on the Worldwide Flood account, as well as the book of Joshua, and of course they were subtly attacking the Bible. For example, they pointed out that the Bible says in one section that the Flood lasted for 40 days, but in another section, the Bible says it lasted for 150 days, implying that the Bible contradicts itself. But what the Bible says is that it rained for 40 days, and after 150 days, the water began to subside. When you have that much water (so much that it even covered the mountains), it's going to take a while before it evaporates or is soaked up into the ground. But of course, they had to twist it to make it sound like the Bible contradicts itself.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I find some parts of PBS religion documentaries interesting, but often they do express more doubt than reasonable faith concerning the Bible and God.

    As long I can answer them in my own mind from research I am at peace with it.

    Cheers, Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  42. loved that one
    God bless you
    freddie from Rome

    ReplyDelete