Sunday, May 01, 2011

Some inspirational statements within my academic career

Conwy Gardens, Wales 2001 

Update I have reposted this article for May (May 1). It was originally published April 25, but I have added more statements in May. As I have noted presently on my other blog, thekingpin68, I am going to try to write one post per month per blog (thekingpin68 and satire and theology) and I will attempt to place more than one section/article in each post. So two posts per month overall, with always the possibility of more. I am not personally interested in a 'Twitter' like short blog approach with several monthly posts. Although I admit some have success with it. Thank you to you loyal readers including the anonymous ones. Commenters, followers and links also appreciated of course. Cheers. Big D, has stated I should put a post together with inspirational statements from my nearly twenty years of academic education. These will be paraphrased since I do not walk around with a note pad, recorder, or personal assistant. The dates will also be estimated. 

Columbia Bible College 1991-1995: Professor J 

'I don't have time to read fiction because there is too much non-fiction for me to read.' I have largely had to live by this as with my four degrees I have spent a lot time studying Biblical Studies, Theology, and Philosophy of Religion as well as dabbling in Statistics, Social Research, Psychology and Science, and there has not been much time to read fiction. That is if I wanted to have any kind of social life outside of reading. Which I do. 

Columbia Bible College 1991-1995: Professor J 

'Looking through both tears of despair and tears of joy, one cannot see the truth very clearly'. Profound. I doubt this is true in every case. I tend to think that at times with increased emotions the brain becomes more active and thoughts can become more clear as long as one remains controlled. I can grant, however, that with intense out of control emotions leading to tears, yes, objectivity will very likely be impaired. 

Trinity Western University/Canadian Baptist Seminary 1997-1998: Theology Professor R 

'When I am asked to speak at a funeral and I am not reasonably sure if the deceased knew the Lord, I state that the Lord is a perfect and just judge'. I think that is a good approach.

Trinity Western University/Canadian Baptist Seminary 1997-1998: Theology Professor R '

There is no point having you students write term papers because at your level you have nothing significant to add'. I was fine with this comment. I was looking at this pragmatically. I was inspired by the pragmatism. We were taking Theology I and Theology II at a Masters level together at nights over several hours for a few weeks. I certainly did not want to add term papers to that agenda! The Professor was not liked by all but I still like and respect him and my marks were high and I learned a fair amount. I never sold-out my Christian faith and philosophy academically, but I have always been very pragmatic when it comes to academics as well. I discuss this in my e-book. 

The University of Manchester 1999-2000: Advisor and Professor P

'I have never met an animal like you.' This unfortunately makes me think of the poppy song called 'You're a strange animal'. This statement was in the context of this 'tutor' wanting me to change my views in regard to the problem of evil, theodicy and the nature of God in order for me stay within the theology and religion department. I was soon forced to leave and he did not want me there in the first place. The person that had accepted me was away on the Continent for a year. I was soon inspired to succeed at Wales. 

Wales University 2000: Advisor and Professor W 

Via a phone conversation... 'The only advice I will give you concerning women is to date someone that will attend the same church as you'. This I think is vitally very good advice which I will always follow. 

Wales University 2000: Advisor and Professor W

'Liberals have taken advantage of conservatives in the British academic system for 40 years and I am sick of it'. True enough and I experienced this, but I was inspired with God's help to work hard and succeed anyway within they system by the rules without compromising my worldview. I managed to meet Theologian John R.W. Stott very briefly after he spoke at a church in Manchester. I explained to him that I was working on a PhD on the problem of evil. He said to me... 

John Stott 2001: Speaker 'You are a very brave man'. Turns out with all I went through he was correct. The other day at church I bought one of his books. I was advised not to cite him in my PhD as he was not considered academic enough at Wales. At the very end of the book 'Basic Christianity' Stott explains that a Christian should follow Christ wholly and unreservedly in service. Stott (1958)(2009: 156). I will not claim that for myself in a perfect sense, but I will state that I did serve the Lord in a sacrificial sense in the UK and in my academic career. Also at church the other day, I bought a book from Arthur W. Pink, a theologian I cited in my PhD. The book I bought is 'The Attributes of God'. He states: 

Arthur W. Pink 1975: Theologian and Author

'Here is an encouragement to prayer. There is no cause for fearing that the petitions of the righteous will not be heard, or that their sighs and tears shall escape the notice of God, since he knows the thoughts and intents of the heart. Pink (1975)(2009: 23). The Lord hears the prayers of his people, and answers within his will. I can have that peace, as can others in trusting in the Lord. This does not guarantee happiness in regard to an issue that is being prayed on, but at least there can be peace that the Lord has heard the prayer. John 14:6 (New American Standard Bible) 6Jesus said to him, "I am (A)the way, and (B)the truth, and (C)the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. This has always been important theologically and philosophically for me. Certainly Christianity does not have all truth, and other many other worldviews and religions have truth, but if Christianity is essentially true the claims Christ made on this point are essential. David J. Ellis describes Christ as the vital link between the heavenly and earthly realms. There is no salvation apart from his teaching and Jesus as a person cannot be separated from what he does. Ellis (1986: 1254). I will add that having studied various worldviews at secular Universities I reason the Christian worldview is the most true. 

ELLIS, DAVID, J. (1986) 'John', in The International Bible Commentary, Grand Rapids, Zondervan. 

PINK, ARTHUR, W. (1975)(2009) The Attributes of God, Baker Book House Company, Grand Rapids. 

STOTT, JOHN, R.W. (1958)(2009) Basic Christianity, William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, Grand Rapids. I may add some more statements to this post as they come to mind. 

Trinity Western University/Canadian Baptist Seminary 1998-1999: Biblical Studies Professor from South Africa 

'Class (Closs) when writing an exam do your best and do God's best'. This professor was nice enough to introduce to me to the department at Manchester. Too bad it did not work out... 

Columbia Bible College 1991-1995: Professor K 

'If you use a better grade of paper you are more likely to receive an outright 'A' in my course'. Yes this was the case. I was using the standard academic grade paper but I went out and purchased higher grade paper for my printer just for my World Religions and World History courses with this Professor. In his defence, and I wrote him this by email this year, his technical preparations foreshadowed some of types technical things expected of my theses writing in Britain several years later. 

John Calvin 1543: Theologian 

'All things are subject to his power, and so there is no created thing which does not, either of its own accord or under coercion, obey his will. Accordingly everything that happens happens of necessity, as he had ordained. Satan too and all the wicked are submissive to his authority, so that they cannot move beyond what he has commanded, for they are constrained by his hand as though by a bride or a halter, so that by now he restrains them, since it pleases him to do so, and now he drives them on and guides them to execute his judgements.' Calvin (1543)(1996: 39).

In my MPhil and PhD theses I take the compatibilistic position that significantly free thoughts and actions that one would be held morally accountable for by God would not be forced or coerced. Human sin, in a sense, is not forced or coerced upon a person by God or any outside force. Therefore, human sin can be traced to human corruption (Romans 1-6) and sinful thoughts and a limited free will leading to sinful choices, all within the will of God. So, these would be appear to be the thoughts and more clearly actions of 'its own accord' Calvin was discussing. Further, I admitted in my Doctorate that not all human actions were significantly free if forced/coerced and that not all human actions were morally significant if same. 

CALVIN, JOHN (1543)(1996) The Bondage and Liberation of the Will, Translated by G.I. Davies, Grand Rapids, Baker Book House. 

How can I not be inspired by Chuck? 

Conwy Overview, Wales 2001  

My 'Estate': May 18, 2011 at a prayer time 

29 comments:

  1. Nice collection of inspirational quotes. The one from Pink reminds me that God longs for fellowship with us much more than we can ever know. Yet it is easy to forget, and instead needlessly "lead lives of quiet desperation..." (from a Henry David Thoreau quote)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Uncle Chucky, reasonable.

    I reason prayers to God are not useless. They may often seem to be to a brick wall, but they do have effect. But, what that is exactly is not always clear as God is sovereign.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Russ, I like this post on inspirational statements, and I would encourage you to continue on with another post with more quotes from people around you and your responses and interactions with their thoughts. Great Idea Big D!
    -Blog Fan Frenzy-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good advice about dating and marrying someone who will and could go to your church, very smart!
    -Dr. Date- (Not too late)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'Dr. Russ, I like this post on inspirational statements, and I would encourage you to continue on with another post with more quotes from people around you and your responses and interactions with their thoughts. Great Idea Big D!
    -Blog Fan Frenzy-'

    Sadly, this was a lot of memory work and I am frenzied out, but thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'Good advice about dating and marrying someone who will and could go to your church, very smart!
    -Dr. Date- (Not too late)'

    Yes, this means I am looking for someone Reformed...or open to being so.

    I am member of a PCA Church but have Baptist leanings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm.

    "There is no point having you students write term papers because at your level you have nothing significant to add."

    That is a fine statement. It does beg the question of at what level a person does have something significant to add. The philosophical purist would say that Christ is all truth, therefore, nothing significant can be added by man. I tend to relax this a bit and take the attitude that the vast majority of theologians will never add anything significant, while the large majority of what we think was significant will be forgotten within a generation.

    Should we stop writing all papers or look for another justification?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I doubt I would even consider publishing anything on this blog or thekingpin68 that I wrote for my MTS or BA. I have just shared material from my completed MPhil era forward.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a very very interesting.
    And the quote about many things make you think.

    Alina :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Alina.

    I tried to go through some of the more memorable educational moments and document them. I am glad you could reflect on them.

    Blessings to you in Russia.

    Russ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cloudia, thank you.

    As usual your Hawaii site is well-presented for tourism.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Russ, I have forwarded the original mail I sent to Chucky. Please cut and paste on your blog :)? I am so very proud of you!

    Hey Chucky,

    I trust you are keeping well? Good to hear from you, and even better to hear about Russ' news! Thanx for the request too, and making us a part of this great celebration. I am so proud of him! Here's my message to him here below:
    ========================================================================================
    Russ, first I'd like to say congratulations! A huge one, all the way from Kenya! I hope this message and the hugs it was wrapped in got to you intact, you can never be sure with the postal service, but I digress. What I really want to say is that you've been an inspiration to me, in what it means to persist and keep following your dreams and aspirations. You've shown me that it doesn't matter how hard, it doesn't matter how long, it doesn't matter the challenges, it doesn't matter the obstacles - nothing really matters except that which we decide matters, and if it is to achieve our goals and reach our destination, then we will get there - if we simply decide to do so and commit our paths to God. To you Russ, for your steadfast declaration and determination ... keep walking, keep going after your hearts desire. As you've proved time and time it can and has been done. Hugs from Kenya and on this awesome day, I'll even throw in a kiss! With loads of love, tandy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Tandy.

    That is a sweet message. I am keeping you to your word that if I visit Africa you will be my tour guide. I need to...

    See the pyramids
    See the jungle
    See some football
    Stay safe
    See a huge waterfall

    God bless

    Get well and have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the Calvin quote, it says a lot about reformed theology in just a few sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Since I have Reformed Baptist leanings I call myself Reformed as opposed to Calvinist but Calvin has been helpful along with Feinberg on the issue of compatibilism. He has also been helpful with issues concerning the nature of God.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for your comment, very appreciated.

    Ber.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Ber. You feature some nice photos of Spain.

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  18. Once again, excellent article of interest on statements within your academic career...I like how you related your views with John Calvin.
    Nice.
    -Ready Reader-

    ReplyDelete
  19. Go Chuck Norris! I wonder what Chuck's worldview is??
    -Curious-

    ReplyDelete
  20. 'Anonymous said...
    Once again, excellent article of interest on statements within your academic career...I like how you related your views with John Calvin.
    Nice.
    -Ready Reader-'

    Thank you. Calvin and Reformed theology is helpful in understanding the Bible.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Olá amigo quanto tempo??!! rsrs
    Muito linda a sua lista de inspirações e pensamentos que o motivaram nesta jornada acadêmica!!!
    Deus te abençõe!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yahoo! Babel Fish translation:

    'Olá friend how much time! rsrs Very pretty its list of inspirations and thoughts had motivated that it in this academic day! God you abençõe!'

    Thank you, so much, Sabrina.

    Blessings to you, the husband and the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  23. "A lot of people give up just before they're about to make it. You know you never know when that next obstacle is going to be the last one."
    -- Chuck Norris

    ReplyDelete
  24. Uncle Chucky, that is a good quote from Chuck.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  25. 'I don't have time to read fiction because there is too much non-fiction for me to read.'

    When working toward a PhD, I can certainly understand that. As for myself, at work, being the sounding board for angry customers all day on the phone can get discouraging, so, between phone calls (which is usually 0-1 seconds, but sometimes more) I have been reading Christian books to try to keep my mind on the Lord for encouragement. Because of the extremely brief periods and constant interruptions, there is no time to read anything deep, but currently I am reading Billy Graham's devotional book "Hope for Each Day," which has been helpful. I work 12 noon till 8 PM (and on Saturdays, 11 Am till 7 PM), getting two 15-minute breaks a day (including bathroom time). During those breaks, I've been recently reading Zane Grey's fictional book, "The Mysterious Rider," a Western novel, in order to get my mind off work. Thankfully, the area outside work has a very scenic lake with rocks, waterfall, beautiful flowers, many turtles, large orange Coy fish, cranes, egrets, Anhingas, etc., so I go out there during my breaks and sit on a bench. When I'm at home, I then have time to do more serious study.


    'The only advice I will give you concerning women is to date someone that will attend the same church as you'.

    This I think is vitally very good advice which I will always follow.


    Yes, that sounds like very good advice. I once knew a Christian man who was married to a Jehovah's Witness wife, which caused a ton of strife and problems. And presumably, a Baptist married to a Charismatic (or Pentecostal) would likely cause problems. A few years back, I knew a couple who had been married for years, but one was pre-trib and the other was post-trib, and they were constantly arguing about that.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The Lord hears the prayers of his people, and answers within his will.

    Friday night I went to the downtown square, where they were promoting the opening of "The Pirates of the Caribbean," to save a theater which is apparently going out of business. They had a pirate ship with "pirates" throwing out 'Mardi-Gras' beads to the audience, many people dressed as pirates, things being sold, someone talking over a loudspeaker, etc. I went there to hand out gospel tracts. The last time I did that was several weeks ago, and before that, I had not done it for a few years, other than merely placing tracts on store shelves, on gas station pumps, in public bathrooms, handing out tracts on Halloween, etc. A few years ago, a friend and I would go to college football games, the movie theater, the mall, fairs, festivals, and even a Jehovah's Witness Convention, and hand out gospel tracts and witness to people. Back then, I really felt like I was within God's will, and if I had died then, I would have been very satisfied with the way I was living my life. But lately, I have fallen out of practice. So, when I went downtown Fri. night, I just walked around, walking through the crowd, with no desire at all to witness to people or to hand out tracts. I used to have a compassion for the lost and a burden for souls, but it seems that lately, I have lost that; my desires have become more worldly. So, after walking around for a while, I went back to my car, having accomplished nothing. I was tempted to just go home. But then I thought what a waste that would be. So, sitting in my car, I prayed, and I kept praying, until the Lord gave me joy. Not the unbelievable, indescribable levels of joy that I have been filled with from the Holy Spirit sometimes in the past, but enough joy that I now had a smile on my face, got out of my car, and happily went through the crowd handing out all the gospel tracts I was carrying (except one tract, which was geared toward people who have body piercings, and I didn't find anyone who had body piercings). Every person was receptive, accepted the tracts immediately and said "thank you" in a heartfelt way (in other words, none of them said "thank you" in a sarcastic way). So, even though I started out fearful and with no desire to hand out tracts at all, the Lord gave me joy and changed my attitude so that I became happy to hand them out. He answered my prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  27. 'I have been reading Christian books to try to keep my mind on the Lord for encouragement. Because of the extremely brief periods and constant interruptions, there is no time to read anything deep...'

    Understood.

    ReplyDelete
  28. 'Every person was receptive, accepted the tracts immediately and said "thank you" in a heartfelt way (in other words, none of them said "thank you" in a sarcastic way). So, even though I started out fearful and with no desire to hand out tracts at all, the Lord gave me joy and changed my attitude so that I became happy to hand them out. He answered my prayer.'

    Mr. Jenkins, well-done.

    ReplyDelete